rother Sidney Moore, the Donor of the Temple, died on May 27, 19O7. He had been a member of the order for more than 50 years and was a member of Hiram Lodge, Delaware Chapter and Council and Marion Commandery.It is only proper and fitting that we quote from the May 28, 1907, issue of the Delaware Journal Herald to show the great human qualities of excellent character and demeanor this man possessed.
Beginning as clerk in the old Delaware County Bank, he later became cashier, and was made President in 1883. Unlike bankers of the old school, he was always affable and courteous. Through that friendly spirit, Mr. Moore was facilitated in making the Delaware National Bank a strong financial institution. He was the only 33o Mason in Delaware County and presented the Masonic Temple to Hiram Lodge several years ago, A wealthy man and one of the most prominent citizens of Delaware, he gave much to Charity. Many of his deeds were never known and he was always prone to keep his donations a secret. He was a very modest man and his contributions to charity were inspired by a noble purpose and not for the sake of notoriety. Many people of Delaware can testify to the fact that he was generous in his business affairs and not the proverbial exacting financier. Many of his noble acts will always remain a secret, for he often gave to the poor with one condition and that was that secrecy be maintained. He loved to do good without the entire community knowing that he helped someone in need, which might cause chagrin to the benefactor. For almost sixty two years, he was connected with the same bank, and he was always attentive to his work. Once when asked why he remained at his desk for such a long time, he replied that “A rolling stone catches no moss.” That is a well known proverb and was a favorite one of the deceased banker. While Mr. Moore has given much to Charity, it is stated that at the time of his death, he was worth $125,000.00. Sidney Moore was born in Delaware December 14,1821. He was the oldest son of Sidney and Phoebe Mann Moore. When a boy he attended school, taught by his aunt Sophia Moore Gaston in the upper story of the building now occupied by Mr. L. B. Denison on South Franklin Street. He also attended the school of Mr. and Mrs. Murray on the west side of Sandusky street, between William and Winter streets a frame building, the boys’ room being on the North and the girls’ on the South side. Then he attended the Delaware Academy on University avenue, known as Hill street during his boyhood days. The building was afterward used by the public schools.
As he grew into manhood, his father was county auditor and he helped in that office when W. D. Heim was County Auditor, he clerked for him. On October 13, 1845, the Delaware County bank was organized. He was the bookkeeper and general clerk. In anticipation of this position, he spent some time in some of the banks in Columbus, preparing himself to open up the books of the new bank. He opened those books. He remained in the Delaware County Bank until the fall of 1851, when he went to Marion and became cashier of the Bank of Marion. In the fall of 1853 he married Miss Nellie Stark, shortly afterward, he removed to Indianapolis, Indiana where he became cashier of the Central Bank of Indianapolis. With his wife he visited his old home town during the holidays of 1854 and was tendered the position of cashier of the Delaware County bank, whose books he opened in 1845. This position he accepted and removed to Delaware, In June 1855, his wife died. “Ten years later on November 4, 1865, he married Mrs. Sarah Ann Cunningham Bierce, a widow with one son. After many years of faithful and efficient service, he was elected president of the Delaware County Bank in 1883 and remained in that position when a new charter was granted in 1905 and the bank became known as the Delaware National Bank. In 1887 he was elected a member of the Delaware City Board of Education for a term of three years. He was twice reelected.” “Mr. Moore was a member of Delaware Hiram Lodge, Delaware Chapter and Council and Marion Commandery. The year 1856 marks his entrance into Masonry. In 1906, Mr. Moore and Mr. George Neilson celebrated their fiftieth anniversary as members of Hiram Lodge. Mr. Neilson died last January. At Cincinnati, Ohio on October 12, 1867, Mr. Moore received from the fourth to the thirty-second degrees, inclusive of the Scottish Rite. On September 14, 1886, in Chicago, the thirty third degree of the Scottish Rite was conferred on him and he was the only 33o Mason in Delaware County. He served number of terms as presiding officer in Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery, and was Grand Junior Warden of the Grand Lodge of Ohio.” During the half century that Mr. Moore was a Mason, he always displayed an unusual interest in the Masonic fraternity and attended the meetings quite frequently.
The last time he was seen in the Masonic Temple was at the meeting of the Council on Monday evening, May 20, 1907, when some of the officers of the Grand Council were present. He was very feeble then. ” In 1897, Mr. Moore built and presented to Hiram Lodge the elegant and commodious Temple which is now occupied by all of the bodies of the Masonic Order in Delaware, and which but for his modesty would bear the inscription “Moore’s Masonic Temple”. The city library was located in the Masonic Temple until the Carnegie Library was constructed. “