he Trustees of Hiram Lodge administered the Lodge Funds up to February 1, 1950, at which time the Masonic Funds Committee was organized and the Shares of the Stock in the Trustee’s hands at that time was turned over to the Masonic Funds Committee.
The last step in occupancy of the Temple was completed in 1950. The Women’s Christian Union had become dormant over the years. The survivors agreed to permit the Lodge to use as a reading room for Lodge purposes. It was, however, to remain the property of the Women’s Christian Union until they disband. The room was decorated and furnished by the Lodge for the purposes of conferences, reception of distinguished guests, committee meetings and reading room for members of all bodies. It should be noted that in the late 1800s and early 1900s there were annual donations made to the ladies Christian union by Hiram Lodge to support their efforts.
The neon sign which identified the Temple was given by the family by the family of brother C. D. Youngas, as a memorial to him in 1951.
In 1957 a Special Committee was appointed to move the Secretary’s Office to the Temple and furnish same and set up a new accounting system, made a detailed report outlining the manner in which the various accounts shall be itemized in the new form of bookkeeping and accounting, the duties of the trustees and etc. It is well to note here that the new office formerly occupied by the Ladies Christian Union and later fitted up by the Lodge as a conference room and Library was completely transformed by the addition of new furniture.
In 1959, Brother of Basil Fees presented to the Lodge, and oil painting of the first meeting place of Hiram Lodge #18: the residence of Dr. Ruben Lamb. This picture, painted by the son of Brother Fees, hangs in our Lodge room as a reminder of the many changes which of come to Hiram Lodge in the century and a half of its existence.
On March 28, 1959, W. Bro. Burleigh Cartmell died in Florida. He was perhaps the most illustrious member of Hiram Lodge in Masonry in recent times. He served as presiding officer of all the Delaware Masonic bodies, as Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter, R.A.M. of Ohio, as Superintendent of the Ohio Masonic Home at Springfield, Ohio for a number of years, and was elected as an Honorary 33o Mason. For many years, he was the treasurer of Ohio Wesleyan University.
In 1961 Hiram Lodge celebrated its 15Oth Anniversary with appropriate ceremonies — beginning with a Lodge Birthday with member re obligation, continuing with some special event each month and ending with a banquet for members and ladies preceding an address by M.W. Brother Daniel C. Jenkins, Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons of Ohio.
The “Traveling Master’s” pin was originated in 1968 by Worshipful Brother Kenneth H. Lincoln. He presented this pin to each new Master of Hiram Lodge and the pin then traveled with each Master of Hiram Lodge. Worshipful Brother Lincoln was called by the Grand Master of the Universe a few minutes after he made the presentation to Worshipful Master A. Fred Ufferman on November 28, 1989.