On Our Way

During the War of 1812 that shortly followed the chartering of the Lodge, Delaware, a border town, was greatly affected and the Lodge did not meet for approximately six months. A number of its members were in military service. The year 1813 closed with six Master Masons, three Fellow Crafts, and three Entered Apprentices, twelve in all.

Nathaniel W. Little, the first Secretary, was re-elected at the election on March 24, 1812. His name and hand writing last appears in the minutes of the meeting in June 1812. The next meeting after June was November 25, 1812 and the minutes were not in Bro. Little’s hand writing. In the report to Grand Lodge of 1814, it is stated that he died January 20, 1813. It was said by Bro. Little’s descendants that he was killed by the Indians, the circumstances of his dead is not known.

For several years the Lodge was dissatisfied with meeting at Brother Lamb’s house and in 1818 obtained permission from the county commissioners to meet in the newly built court house.

Records indicate that Sidney Moore Sr. affiliated with Hiram Lodge on June 9, 1818. Sidney Moore Sr. came to Delaware in 1816 from Wyndham, Vermont, where he had been made a Mason. He was present on October 1, as a visitor. He was married in 1818 and joined for a short time Bro. Sprague in the Hotel. Bro. Moore was by trade a brick and stone mason, and worked for some time in Delaware at his trade. He served two terms as Auditor of the County. His home was in the brick house on the West side of Sandusky St, third house North of the Court House, one house North of his son’s Sidney Moore Jr. He died in 1866 and was buried by the Lodge on April 15, 1866.

John Quitman was raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason on May 1, 1821, and later was made an honorary 33rd and he also served as the governor of Mississippi.

In February 1823 the Lodge moved to the home of Brother Ezra Griswold for two meetings and then probably returned to the court house.

In the year of 1823 Brother Joseph S. Hughes died of the same fever that caused the death of Rutherford Hayes, father of President Hayes, the preceding year. Rev. Hughes was perhaps the most prominent Mason ever located in Delaware. He organized the First Presbyterian Church in Delaware, Radnor and Liberty, was part owner and publisher of the Delaware Gazette, was Clerk of Courts, was several times W.M. of the Lodge, was a member of and present at the first convocation of the Grand Chapter of Ohio. In January 1823 he was elected Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter and died while in active service in that capacity. He was also Master of Hiram Lodge at his death. He also served the Grand Lodge as Grand Orator and Grand Chaplain.